I was watching a show about this guy who had a problem with sleepwalking and one night during a sleepwalking episode he jumped out his window (on the third floor) because he thought an intruder was going to attack him. It made me recall my own sleepwalking past (and somewhat present). It's not that uncommon in children, which is when it started for me. Luckily our first apartment was only one floor because I would go straight to the living room and try to shake the front door open. It never occurred to me to unlock the deadbolt in my slumber, but I guess that's a good thing because it would likely lead to head trauma as there were stairs right outside the door.
Anyway things didn't get weird until we moved into our 2nd apartment with my mom's boyfriend and soon to be husband (and soon to be ex-husband). Apparently I would go into their room while sleepwalking, lean over her boyfriend in bed and say creepy ass shit to him. I think my mom was pretty disturbed by this so she tried keeping it lighthearted by repeating the one "mellow" thing I said, a comment about his beard. This way she's not repressing the scenario altogether, just 90% of it. I was only about 7 or 8 at the time and having watched The Exorcist I fully believed in possession, so during these sleep walking episodes I figured I was possessed because I didn't recall any of the details and had no motivation to do any of what I did. They peaked in weirdness at about age 11, and nowadays it's hardly anything. I just jump out of bed and run out of my room and turn all the lights on which causes me to wake up in a 'wtf' fashion.
I just hope I don't jump out any windows.
What was it that you told your mom's bf in your sleep?
ReplyDelete